Whether you appreciate winter or prefer the warmer months in St. Louis, a lot of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Check weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your space warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it must be switched out. We recommend at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Install a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can set temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The team at Morgner Inc. Air Conditioning & Heating can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Morgner Inc. Air Conditioning & Heating in St. Louis a call to start down the right path. Give us a shout at 314-262-4541 or arrange an appointment with us online.