You’re in the middle of the most frigid week of winter and you wake up trembling in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thought to go through your head is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can check, as well as a few things you can do, to stay ahead of the game and prep for a situation like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Frigid nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avoid a chilly predicament.
- Gather supplies. Find some room in a closet, drawer or another handy area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warmed up while your furnace isn’t running. It may seem bothersome or unnecessary now, but it will come in handy when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Working:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace may have been tripped by a power surge or for a different reason. If this is the case, flip the breaker back on and you may be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have turned it back on but your furnace still isn’t working, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer on and get cozy. That list of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you keep your body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Using something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose potential danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods designed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your safest options.
No one wants to have an encounter with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the possibility is real if you don’t take the right steps. Give the team at Morgner Inc. Air Conditioning & Heating a call at 314-262-4541 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services available or any other number of heating questions.